A heat wave is upon us here in Portland and the greater Pacific Northwest and everyone is feeling it! Not to fear, we’ve got some heat hacks for you.
- Portland has more than 21 splash parks and interactive fountains to enjoy. Here’s a handy list!
- Take a dip in one of Portland’s 12 public pools and cool off fast.
- Be sure your ceiling fans are spinning counter clockwise by adjusting the switch at the top!
- Create your own cool pack using rice and a sock as seen in this video.
- Close curtains and windows during the brightest and hottest hours of the day.
- Take a cool shower when you get up and before you go to bed.
- Use a small misting bottle from time-to-time in combination with a fan.
Here’s a great list from the Centers for Disease Control on how to keep yourself and your loved ones and pets from heat-related illnesses this summer!
**Also a friendly reminder if you’re using a portable AC unit, avoid brown-out by not using appliances like microwave and hairdryers while it’s running!