Spring has sprung and it’s the high season for property management companies throughout the United States.
This time of year, Bristol Urban sees a big increase in rental inquiries for our Portland neighborhoods. Being in Portland and the Pacific Northwest, two widely-popular destinations, we know the rental market is extremely competitive for renters and that oftentimes people feel the pinch to move quickly.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind before you start shopping for a new apartment in a popular market:
- What are your non-negotiables? Need parking? Looking for a bustling community in an urban setting or do you prefer rural? Be sure to know what things you need in a new living situation.
- Research the neighborhoods! Do they have an association? What amenities like transit, schools and shops exist there?
- Get personal! Get more clarity faster by speaking with a property management company in person vs. online.
- Ask friends for referrals! Chances are you know a friend, colleague or relative who rents from a great property management company or landlord. Ask them for an introduction.
- Know your market. Never go in blind to an apartment search. You should know the following key information for any city you’re looking to rent in:
- Average security deposit
- Average rent for the size of apartment you’re looking for
- Total additional costs: parking, laundry, utilities, etc., always be sure to know your numbers
Moving can be overwhelming, don’t be afraid to meet with a property manager one-on-one and ask for answers to all of your questions. That’s why property managers exist! We hope you find the apartment of your dreams! Also be sure to Instagram and Facebook and don’t ever hesitate to connect with us if you have any questions!